Monday, March 7, 2016

The Real First Day ~ Meeting the Kids

Today was our first day in the orphanage. We spent the morning playing with all the kids in two connected rooms. At one point I tried to count them all, but some were getting changed and lots were on the move so I am going to say we had 25-30 kids in the rooms with us. The man who gave us a tour, I am not sure of his position, said there are about 50 kids total. They range in age from a few months old to eighteen years old. The ones we were playing with were mostly under five because the older kids go to school if able.

In the afternoon after lunch and siesta time, we went back to the orphanage and went to a separate room to get pictures and start assessment forms for the kids who's files America World Adoption has. It was so great to have a physical therapist (Kim), an occupational therapist (Joanne), and a nurse (Amy) to help with assessing the children's mobility and development. It was also wonderful to get to know these kids better so that we can really advocate for them to perspective families. We are only here for a week so there is only so much we can do, but if we can get to know them and share who they are we will hopefully find them forever families. I collected some brief thoughts from all my team members on today.



"We met some beautiful children who were very affectionate. They enjoyed their time with us. Some of the big hits for toys were the beach balls and the matchbox cars. We found that the children shared a lot which was lovely to see. They have beautiful hearts. ~Kim



"I fell in love with the kids instantly. All the babies were so precious and holding them in my arms  and seeing their face light up was my favorite thing. The older kids had so much fun with light up toys and bouncy balls and one older girl in particular was always giving out hugs. The last little boy I held I never wanted to let go and I'm so excited to return tomorrow!" ~ Anna



"It was rewording to be able to love on the children today. I am thankful I have been doing Iron Man Fitness for the past year so I was ready for picking up all the kids today." ~Lois



"To hear the squeals, giggles, and laughter of the children greet us was inspiring and inviting as we entered the orphanage in the morning, and when we returned after lunch. I was thankful that I was able to use my occupational therapy skills to help assess the children in order to tell their stories and find them forever families." ~ Joanne



"It was wonderful interacting, loving on them, and them responding back with lots of love. It was a privilege for our Father to allow us the opportunity to love on these precious children." ~Cathy



"The kids were just a great joy. The staff was very gracious. The delight of being with children again. The joy of sharing in their fun and seeing them play with all the toys we brought Balls bouncing and cars zinging by. A few rascally ones and a few gentle ones." ~Barb



"I saw precious children each unique in their personalities and desires with so much potential to be loved, nurtured, and cherished."~ Amy



"It was a blessing to be able to hold each one of those beautiful children and be a part of their lives even if only for a moment." ~Kara



"Zzzzzzz" ~Jenna (She was sleeping when I went to get her quote.)

Thank you for supporting us. I know it means a lot to everyone to know the team we have behind our team. Please keep bringing us and our goal to find families before our Father.

Goodnight!
~Tatiana

6 comments:

  1. Great work girls and great stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work girls and great stories

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big hug to Joanne from Pamela! Thinking of you and praying for you and everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The children must be in their glory!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the pictures which makes it so personal.

    ReplyDelete